Monday, August 17, 2009

continuing works by J.J.









Entry #10
Hi everyone! Let’s talk about bibles.

Most of your fundamental Baptists think the only bible worth reading is the KJV. That’s the “King James Version.”

I believe it was first published in the year 1611, I’m not sure, but it’s considered the only authorized bible.

There are other versions, such as the NIV, (New International Version), TLB, (The Living Bible), TEV, (Today’s English Version), and The Amplified Bible; to name a few prominent titles.
Then there are bibles put out by certain scholars: The Schofield, the Phillips, and others which all have commentary that is of interest to read.

There are chain reference bibles, concordance keyed bibles, (keyed to “Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance” which lists every word in the bible both the Greek and the Hebrew, with the full meaning of the words in the original language.)

As you can see, there are quite a few bibles to choose from and that not even counting the bible versions put out by different faiths; like The New World Translation, put out by the Jehovah’s witnesses, or the Catholic bible which adds a few epistles that the protestant KJV bible doesn’t include.

The descriptive information on all of these bibles including the additional study bibles and paraphrased bibles is staggering, so let’s cut to the chase!

I’ve found that the most accurate bible to have is the KJV. An accuracy some say doesn’t carry over into the New King James version. I agree.

But the KJV bible has its faults too! Its use of old King James English makes for over 500 words that have confusion written all over them because they have meanings unknown to most modern day readers and words that have changed meaning. For example, if I use the word “prevent” to say, “I’m going to prevent you going out that door.” What am I saying? I’m going to stop you…right? WRONG! In the kings English it means I’m going to go out that door before you do. I’m going to pre – vent!

For good modern English translation of the original manuscripts in the Greek and Hebrew, I like the NIV. But it too has its faults. What’s a person to do?? My suggestion: Buy a composite bible.

There are some good ones. One I like is made up of four bible versions: the KJV, the NIV, The American Standard Bible and The Amplified bible.

With a composite bible you can read the same verse in four different ways of expression all on the same page. And that’s a good thing! For example: you read in the KJV I Cor. 2:16 that, “the spiritual man judges all things but is not subject to any mans judgment for who knows the mind of the lord that he may instruct him, but we have the mind of Christ.” And in the Amplified Bible we see that to have the “mind of Christ” is to have his “thought, will and emotions.” This of course is seen to be true once we have walked “The Way” of repentance for any length of time and have been “transformed by the renewing of our minds” into Christ’s image in some degree of growth.

Then we might read in the KJV II Tim. 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed who rightly divides the word of truth.” And see in the NIV that the word study is changed to: “Do your best…”

A major bone of contention for the fundamental churches that see this as an error of translation, but they are wrong. This is actually one of their biggest problem verses because they misuse it to say it means to study the bible. This was discussed in Entry #3 in my included article: “The Way”. Yet the end verse is wrong in the NIV and correct in the KJV.

As you can see there are many points to consider in picking the right bible to read, so let’s again sum it up and come to a conclusion. This is my considered conclusion and I believe it will serve you best.

Avoid any bible that is church specific…the Jehovah’s Witness bible, the Catholic bible, the Unification church bible.

Avoid study bibles because they are written to support the fundamental doctrine of protestant belief, with commentary slanted towards that end. You may see this if you look to II Tim. 2:15 and read the commentary and see if it says that it means to study the bible.

Avoid all paraphrased bibles! They too are written to support a fundamental belief and remove important key words so that you cannot look them up in an exhaustive concordance. Avoid these bibles at all costs! Certain phrases in the original become clear in meaning as you grow in the mind of Christ, if they are removed through paraphrasing to what they think it means then you will lose that measure of faith.

If I were to choose one bible version, I’d choose for you the NIV. But the best bible for you is a composite bible. Read the New Testament, you can read the old later. Become knowledgeable of The New Testament. Avoid church doctrine, avoid bible studies; just read for yourself the story of Christ Jesus and his apostles. After you have done that then listen to a teacher. A prophetic teacher.

There are a lot of preachers, teachers and even a lot who say they are prophets. I’ve seen, heard and read more than my share of them in my 55 years of life and I’ve not seen one who taught “The Way” as I do. Most don’t even teach the bible and prophesy about things not even related to the bible, such as cars are going to get 67 miles to a gallon, or, the moon is inhabited by six foot beings…run from these false prophets; if you will, I will show you "The Way".

Egotistical as that may sound, it’s not. Since I‘ve gained the knowledge of the truth I have come to be able to know when others know it or not. Mostly it’s not!

If you’ve read my blog up to here, then I know you have experienced the thrill of insight. I also know that if you move to walk in “The Way" of repentance you will gain the understanding that you can never lose! This is the knowledge that will allow the elite of God’s chosen to know the anti-Christ when he appears on the scene spouting his lies to sound like an angel of righteousness!!!

But if you have just read my words of sharing, of teaching and done nothing to apply it to your life, then a lot of what I say will sound boastful, egotistical and you will soon discontinue reading this blog. You, you will think, have better things to do than read this, and you can read the bible for yourself.

Yes you can. Then perhaps you can read I Cor. 14:22 and tell yourself what does it mean when Paul says: “prophecy is for believers.”?? And prophecy comes from those so gifted.

According to the World Christian Encyclopedia, there are over 34,000 different Christian doctrine teaching churches, when we should only have one true belief and mind of understanding.

It’s taken me over 25 years to become able to know “The Way” of Jesus and be able to share it with the authority of assurance that is founded on proof of “increasing measure.” My faith is no longer blind! My hope in not in an empty tomb. My obedience is not to a written commandment of the Ten Commandments. My belief is not tossed to and fro’ by every wind of doctrine. My repentance is not an exercise of will power to resist. My love is not determined by my emotional instability, or conditions. I have your best interests at heart. “Here”, I give you as I am enabled, a leg of reason undisputable, to stand on in the teaching of God. Elsewhere, I give as my plans become fruitful.

I hope you choose to benefit by it. Till next time, In Him, J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to extend an open invitation to anyone out there reading my blog a chance to have your pressing questions answered on matters of the Christian faith. So feel free to ask me that question that you have bugging you to no end and the churches can’t seem to answer to your satisfaction, and I will give it my best shot. Thank-you.